Monday, July 27, 2015

Birth Story

June 10th, 2015
I went in for a regular OB appointment. Our 39 week mark & the week prior we had discussed that this appointment would center 'induction'. My OB took the whole month of July off & so I had a fill in - but she was in the OR so I had a OB I'd never met before see me. She did the normal questions, blood pressure and measuring. I was still 50% effaced & 1 cm dilated - a week later. She expressed to me that she thought the baby was too big & that I need to be induced right away. So much so that they wanted us to come back at 4 pm to be admitted. Considering nobody else had mentioned the size of the baby prior to this visit - I was very hesitant. I actually fought her on the topic because I was so close to my due date that I didn't understand the urgency. They gave us a couple of times & days to get started with the induction. The hubby & I agreed that on Saturday morning we would be admitted and start the process.
I left the visit feeling like something was wrong. Something she saw or heard didn't sit right & she was really pushing for a induction - and it scared me. I decided to keep the induction off of facebook & just prepare the house. We did laundry, went for a swim, cleaned the house but our nerves were just so jumbled. I didn't feel like we were doing the right thing & I wanted to call and cancel the appointment. I kept telling my husband that I was scared this meant I would have a c section & that really bothered me. We went to bed around 9pm but I don't think either one of us really slept.

June 11th, 2015
I got up, took a shower, put on makeup, rechecked all the bags.. and I was being a bitch. I was angry they were taking my baby, I was angry that I wasn't going to experience laboring at home like I wanted, and I was scared something was wrong. I snapped orders at my husband & kept myself busy to keep from crying. I felt like I was being cheated from this experience & I wanted to experience it all. My sweet husband went to Starbucks & got me my favorite drink.. he stayed very calm & even let me drive to the hospital. We didn't really say a word all the way there & I even thought about turning around a couple of times. At 9 am we were admitted to the Labor & Delivery area.. by 10 we had a room. The process was long. My body responded the meds .. well all but my cervix. My cervix wouldn't dilate. They gave me a pill to soften the cervix but that really didn't help. They then did a 'balloon' to dilate the cervix.. which was the most painful thing I had every experienced - up to that point. I went from 1 cm to 4 cm in less then 20 min. Around 9 pm I was 100% effaced and 4 cm dilated. That's when they started the Pitocin - this little IV drip that would help my contractions speed up & my cervix to dilate. Lets just say this was a very VERY long process. The more the meds didn't work the more certain I was that being induced had been a mistake. If this baby was ready then all the stars would align and I would progress more.

June 12th, 2015
At 5 am I had reached 6 cm dilation. I opted for the the epidural at this point and they assured me that the rest would come super fast. Being at 6 cm meant that you were in 'real' labor & your body usually dilated a cm an hour. Well by 1 pm the doctors started talking about different options to try. My body had again dilated but my cervix was no where near ready to have a baby - so they upped the pitocin. At 6 pm they broke my water to help the process speed up a little. I was numb, aggitated from being in bed so long & I was starving. I mean I was so hungry that I was getting angry. All they would allow me to have was apple juice and graham crackers. I was positive that this baby wasn't coming & that I would be in labor the whole next day. By 9m contractions really started to pick up & my cervix finally gave in. I was 100% effaced, dialted to a 7 & they talked me into napping while we waited. Good thing too because everything else happened so quickly!!

The time came to start pushing after 36 hours of labor. I tried to have this baby and pushed for two and half hours. Right as the babies head emerged the Dr came in to check on our progress. That's when everything changed.

The Dr told the nurse to go grab the other Dr, to grab the anesthesiologist, and they threw my husband this white suit. The Dr started telling me that my babies head was stuck in pelvic area. They told me that I couldn't push anymore & that they were going to have to do a c-section. The anesthesiologist appeared and started asking me questions about where I was numb from the epidural. The other Dr and her nurses appeared ... that's when I started to straight up panic. I couldn't calm down so they made me wear a oxygen mask. I started really getting worried something was wrong with the baby - plus my body was telling me to push and I couldn't. At this point I started asking people to "please make it stop hurting". I was calling out names and saying the same thing over and over again. They wheeled me back to the OR while I still begged them to "make it stop hurting". Once they moved me to the other bed I started to freak out even more. I was so sure that something was wrong with my baby & they weren't telling me. I also realized that my husband wasn't in the room like they promised which intensified my 'freak out'. The anesthesiologist tried 8 different medicines before using this rolling thing to see what was numb and what wasn't. I was so annoyed with that they were making me answer questions. I was in so much pain so I just started yelling at him to stop talking. {which is kind of funny now} The Dr started to cut my stomach & I could feel it. I started screaming that I could feel what they were doing & described how they just cut me. The next thing I knew they were replacing the oxygen mask with another mask and the room when white.

I woke up three hours later to find out that I had a 9lb 7 oz baby boy that was 21.5 inches long. My husband told me that the babies blood sugar was at a 24 & they wanted to take the baby to the NICU. He refused to allow them to take the baby until I woke up and got to hold him. He also refused to name the baby until I was able to see him. They moved me to a recovery room after I held my son & moved him to the NICU. We both stayed in the hospital until Thursday afternoon.

Now that we are home and we have had our son for almost two weeks - all the craziness seems unimportant. I'm so happy that he is healthy & home. As much as I loved being pregnant I love being a Mommy much more. My birth plan was thrown out the window Friday morning, which is what I expected to happen. {Mostly because nothing goes as plan & I don't see how someone could plan such an event as a birth.} Through all the scary moments I know I want to do this all over again but for right now we are going to simply enjoy this sweet angel.

That's our birth story!! Our son is here!!
Now to start sharing the next chapter of our story... being parents!